The Armor of God - Don't leave it in your closet.

All who are thirsty
All who are weak
Come to the fountain
Dip your heart in the stream of life
Let the pain and the sorrow
Be washed away
In the waves of his mercy
As deep cries out to deep - we sing;

Come Lord Jesus come.
Come LORD JESUS come!
COME LORD JESUS COME!

- All who are Thirsty by Kutless -

I don't usually quote songs, but this one spoke to me today as I fasted. And I noticed something. My ''fasting'' was more or less only a day, as a trial run. Next time I'll be more prepared for spiritual warfare. Boy, what a battle today..

On the outside was a BEAUTIFUL day, filled with a light smile as I patrolled on the Golf Cart. But on the inside roared with fiery arrows falling down on me, sword against sword clashing as my spiritual battle raged and the victory line pushed back and forth. Call me imaginative, but I truly believe that's what happened. God provided me armor of light, the Armor of GOD, for what? To hug myself to death in a mirror? No - My God gave me His armor, shield and sword because there is a battle to fight. And although the main war has already been won thanks to Jesus, my battle still rages on day by day until my savior returns. Come Lord Jesus, come...

I'm not ready to announce what battle I fought today, what lies were thrown my way or what was found inside my own heart, but it sure hit me to the core. It felt like.. Like I knew all the answers, yet I still managed to feel the effects of a lie even though I didn't believe it. Like knowing a wall isn't there, but still afraid of it being there as you walk into it. In turn you essentially making it real, and falling because of it. If that makes any sense at all... It's the reason why mothers wouldn't dare think of their children being hit by a car. They know it didn't happen, but the thought alone would drive you insane. That's what I felt today. Believing lies I knew weren't true. I rejoice, however. As I fasted today, kind of.. I didn't face challenges or battles I knew I could win, but rather I faced what MADE me lean on Jesus for strength. An issue I needed to work on instead of an issue I'm having great progress in.

God knows my heart, and when the fast ended with a nice slice of pizza (Praise God), the battle ceased. I realized what heart issue I needed to work on, and next time.. I'll be prepared for it. How, you ask?

The Lord God gives us this awesome manual for fighting these battles. How much more prepared can you get?

Ephesians 6:10-20 - ''Finally my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might, put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.


6:14 - Stand therefore, having girded your waste with truth.
(Girding up was a matter of pulling in the loose ends as preparation for battle. The belt that pulls all the spiritual loose ends in is ''truth'' or better, ''truthfulness'. The idea is of sincere commitment to fight and win without hypocrisy - self discipline in devotion to victory. Everything that hinders is tucked away.)

- having put on the breastplate of righteousness.
(As believers faithfully live in obedience to and communion with Jesus Christ, His own righteousness produces in them the practical, daily righteousness that becomes their spiritual breastplate.)

6:15 - and having shod your feet with preparation of the gospel of peace.
(It is that confidence of divine support which allows the believer to stand firm, knowing that since he is at peace with God, God is his strength.)

6:16 - above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
(The believer's continual trust in God's word and promise is ''above all'' absolute necessary to protect him from temptations to every sort of sin.)

6:17 - And take the helmet of salvation.
(Although a Christian's feelings about his salvation may be seriously damaged by Satan-inspired doubt, his salvation itself is eternally protected and he need not fear it's loss. )

6:17 - and the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God.
(As the sword was the soldier's only weapon, so God's Word is the only needed weapon, infinitely more powerful than any of Satan's. It is the truth of scripture, in this case, provided as a weapon against Satan.)

'' - being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
______

I will be ready.
Mark my words, God is with me.

0 comments: